By Marian L Thorpe
August 18 – 21
- Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empires-Daughter-Legacy-Book-ebook/dp/B00TXFTZ3G
- Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54687565-empire-s-daughter
- Genre: Historical fiction , Literary fiction
- Print length: 345 pages (80K words)
- Age range: This is an adult book, but would be suitable for mature teens age 16+
- Trigger warnings: on-page violent death (human and animal), funeral, kidnapping of child
- Formats available for the Tour: all standard electronic formats (sorry, no paperbacks)
- Amazon Rating: 4.5*
About Empire’s daughter
Empire’s Daughter stands alone, but is also the first in the prize-winning Empire’s Legacy Series.
An Emperor’s request. A lover’s refusal. And a young woman who must choose between them.
Many generations past, the great empire from the east left Lena’s country to its own defences. Now invasion threatens…and to save their land, women must learn the skills of war. But in a world reminiscent of Britain after the fall of Rome, only men fight; women farm and fish. Lena’s choice to answer her leader’s call to arms separates her from her lover Maya, beginning her journey of exploration: a journey of body, mind and heart.
Winner of multiple awards, both individually and as part of the first Empire’s Legacy trilogy, Empire’s Daughter is neither magical fantasy nor historical fiction, but a unique world both familiar and unfamiliar – an empire on the edge of history.
Praise for the ’empire’s legacy’ series
QueerIndie Gold 2023 for Fiction/Nonfiction; Eric Hoffer Finalist, 2021; IndieBRAG recipient, 2021; Silver Medal, Historical Fantasy Box Set of the Year (as part of Empire’s Legacy) 2019
‘I dread the day Marian will be finished writing this series’ Cover to Cover Reviews
‘Thorpe’s writing is beautiful – strong in the details of landscape both physical and political, delicate in the handling of strong emotion, and cunning in how stealthily details of the plot are seeded throughout.’ Karen Heenan, author of The Tudor Court series.
‘this book has it all: tight plotting, strong characters, action, danger, drama, and pathos.’ Discovering Diamonds Reviews
About the Author
“My books are historical fiction of an imagined world, one that is close to Britain, Northern Europe, and Rome, but isn’t any of them. A world where a society evolved differently after the Eastern Empire left, an Empire on the edge of history.
After two careers as a research scientist and an educator, I decided it was time to do what I’d always really wanted, and be a writer. As well as my novels, I’ve published short stories and poetry. My life-long interest in Roman and post-Roman European history provided the inspiration for my books, while my other interests in landscape archaeology and birding provide background.”
- QueerIndie Awards, 2023: Gold for Fiction/Nonfiction, for Empire’s Daughter
- Indie Ink Awards, 2022: Finalist, for Empire’s Heir
- QueerIndie Awards, 2022: Queer Fiction/Non-Fiction: Bronze, for body of work.
- Book Bloggers Novel of the Year Award, Semi-Finalist, 2021 for Empire’s Daughter
- Eric Hoffer Awards: Finalist, 2022, for Empire’s Heir.
- B.R.A.G Medallion, 2021, for Empire’s Daughter
- Readers Favourite 5-Star Award, 2021, for Empire’s Legacy: The Complete First Trilogy.
- Highly Recommended, 2021, for Empire’s Heir
- Historical Fantasy Book of the Year, 2019, Gold Medal for Empire’s Exile, Book III of Empire’s Legacy
- Box Set of the Year, 2019, Silver Medal for Empire’s Legacy
- Highly Recommended, 2020, for Oraiáphon: A Novella of the Empire
- Historical Fantasy Book of the Year, Gold Medal, 2020, for Empire’s Reckoning
- September 2021, for Empire’s Heir, Book VI of Empire’s Legacy
- March 2020, for Empire’s Daughter, Book I of Empire’s Legacy
- April 2020, for Empire’s Hostage, Book II of Empire’s Legacy
- June 2020, for Empire’s Exile, Book III of Empire’s Legacy.
- (all shortlisted for Book of the Month)
- June 2020, for Empire’s Reckoning, Book I of Empire’s Reprise
- Highly Recommended, 2021 , for Empire’s Heir.
Reviewers – please complete the form below if you would like to take part in this Tour, august 18 – 21