By Samantha Wilcoxson
September 22 – 25
- Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Luminous-Story-Radium-Samantha-Wilcoxson-ebook/dp/B085ZWBFCQ
- Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/52288751
- Genre: Fictional account of real events, 1920s and 30s.
- Print length: 321 pages (83K words)
- Age range: This is an adult book, but may be suitable for mature older teenagers
- Trigger warnings: Distressing medical content
- Formats available for the Tour: all standard electronic formats (sorry, no paperbacks)
- Amazon Rating: 4.5*
Catherine’s life is set on an unexpected course when she accepts a job at Radium Dial. She soon finds out that the excellent pay is no recompense for the evil secret that lurks in the magical glow-in-the-dark paint. Catherine Donohoe takes on the might of a big corporation and becomes an early pioneer of social justice in the era between world wars.
Emotive and inspiring – this book will touch you like no other as you witness the devastating impact of radium poisoning on young women’s lives.
Praise for LUMINOUS
Samantha makes you feel so many different emotions. The strongest for me was anger at the Radium Dial Corporation for subjecting these girls to this poison, while they knew it was making them very ill. The next strongest emotion was extreme sadness for what these girls went through. This book takes you on a heartbreaking journey through Catherine Donohoe’s life. Amazon review
Samantha Wilcoxson’s novel Luminous is more than just an emotional rollercoaster ride. It is a tearjerker, that tells a tale of a fate so devastating that simply turning the pages will hurt. And it is based on a true story.
A history, that should not be forgotten. A history, that may repeat itself if we’re not careful. Amazon Review
Luminous is a gripping fictional account of Catherine Donohue’s life, told with such passion, honesty and empathy, it stays with you for a long time. And perhaps that’s a good thing. It makes us listen up.
I can’t recommend this novel highly enough. A must-read, it is my Book of the Year. Amazon review
aBOUT THE AUTHOR
Samantha Wilcoxson is an author of emotive biographical fiction and strives to help readers connect with history’s unsung heroes. She also writes nonfiction for Pen & Sword History. Samantha loves sharing trips to historic places with her family and spending time by the lake with a glass of wine. Her most recent work is Women of the American Revolution, which explores the lives of 18th century women, and she is currently working on a biography of James Alexander Hamilton.
- Website: https://www.instagram.com/samantha_wilcoxson/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/samantha_wilcoxson/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/carpe_librum
Reviewers – please complete the form below if you would like to take part in this Tour, SEPTEMBER 22 – 25